I want to start a new career at 35, is it possible in this economy?

The last few years have been tough for me. I have never hated my job before but with a promotion, I found myself hating it. I can’t just go back either. The wife and I have 2 small children with another on the way and I will be 35 in a few months. I am considering starting a new career. I have enough savings to do it, I am just not sure if it is worth the risk in this economy. Thoughts? 

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
June 5, 2020 9:00 PM

I think it depends on what kind of career change you are considering. Certain careers are great for people to enter in their 30's such as a mental health professional, financial analyst, or a personal trainer. What kind of career are you interested in?

June 12, 2020 2:29 AM

I think it depends. I wouldn’t go within a 10 foot pole of owning a restaurant or department store. A lot of them are closing and will continue to close.

June 18, 2020 8:25 PM

What kind of career are you thinking? I would weigh your options heavily. You have to worry about providing for a family so you can’t just wing things without considering everything.

June 18, 2020 8:31 PM

Is it possible to take time off work? I took time off when I was looking to start a new career. I had savings to live off of. It helps me find a job I really loved.

June 18, 2020 8:36 PM

A lot of people change their careers in their 30’s. I would say it is better to do it now while you are still young. Don’t worry too much about the economy, it will bounce back. It always does.

June 18, 2020 8:40 PM